Shrawan 2016: Pleasing Month At Almighty’s Feet
Holiest month of the year 2016, Shrawan is exposed here along with the dates of the most powerful days. In 2016, the month of Shravan brings you the opportunity to get blessed of pleasantness and favors by the Almighty, a number of times. Shravan is not only about Lord Shiva, the mischievous Krishna will also come to your homes. Read on to know more…
Sawan 2016: What Is Savan?
The month of Shravan brings you many holy opportunities to please the Lord. Saavn is also known as ‘Avni’ in Tamil. With the commencement of the month of Sawan, Sun enters Leo. Each day of the Shravan (or Saavn) holds its own religious significance. Hence, the whole Saawan can be termed as the host of auspicious days.
Now, let’s take a look at the festivals that will take place in Saavn in 2014.
Shrawan 2016: Sawan 2016 Festivals
Sawan 2016: Most Powerful Dates Of Shravan In North India
Below mentioned are the dates of the festivals that will be observed in the southern part of the country too, during the Shravan Month in 2016.
|First Day Of Sawan Month
|Sawan Somvar Vrat 2016
|Sawan Somvar Vrat 2016
|Savan Somvar Vrat 2016
|Savan Somvar Vrat 2016
|Last Day Of Sawan Month
Now, as you know the dates of different festivals to be celebrated in Sawan in 2016, we hope you will be able to follow the month of Saavn with piousness and devotion.
But, what is the significance of Sawan? Why should we regard Saawan as the holy month? A holy legend is associated to this beautiful month. Let’s take a look at it.
Sawan 2016: Legend Of Shravan Month
Saavn is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Let’s find out the reason in the legends of Sawan.
Samudra Manthan took place in the Shravan month, when the gods and the demons churned the ocean of milk. In response, fourteen items came out of the ocean. Out of them, the deadly poison, Halahala emerged out as a by-product.
The poison was partaken by Shiva to save the world from destruction. Lord Shiva swallowed the poison in such a manner that it could not leak through. The poison turned his throat blue. Thus, he came to be attributed as Neelkanth (blue throat).
Though, the whole Saavan month is dedicated to Lord Shiva, Mondays are believed to be the most auspicious days to perform fasts (Vrat) in the name of Lord Shiva. Vrat that takes place on the Savan Mondays is observed as Sawan Somvar Vrat.
Let’s take a look at how Shrawan Somvar Vrats are observed during Mondays in the month of Saavn.
Shrawan Somvar Vrat 2016
Shrawan Somvar Vrats are observed by married women who seek for a happy household; unmarried ladies follow Shrawan Somvar Vrat to get the ideal life-partner in their lives. Since, Monday is the favorite day of Lord Shiva, it is considered to be the best time to invoke Shiva’s blessings.
Since, the month of Saavn is especially devoted to Lord Shiva, let’s take a look at the traditions that are followed during Shrawan Somvar Vrat.
Shrawan Somvar Vrat 2016: How To Observe Shrawan Somvar Vrat?
Following are the rituals that are to be followed while observing Shrawan Somvar Vrat in 2016:
- The rituals of Sawan Somvar Vrat commences early morning when devotees take a holy bath to purify their sins. After this, they pray to Lord Ganesha and Lord Shiva, respectively.
- The devotee takes Sankalp (pledge) that he/she would be completely devote himself/herself to perform Sawan Somvar Vrat.
- Puja is performed to please Lord Shiva twice, while observing the day of Sawan Somvar Vrat.
- While performing Sawan Somvar Vrat, Sawan Somvar Vrat Katha is recited, which signifies the journey of Shiva from life to eternity.
While worshiping Lord Shiva during Sawan Somvar Vrat, “Om Namah Shivay” Mantra is recited by the devotees. These rituals are the early proceedings of the Sawan Somvar Vrat.
The lord is offered Bilva (Aegle Marmelos) leaves (also known as Bel Patra), honey, milk and Lingam is also bathed in a holy proceeding. The fasting (Savan Somvar Vrat) begins early morning, and ends with the sunset on the same day.
Devotees also perform Maun (keeping silence) Vrat during the Sawan Somvar Vrat. Mantras like Om Namah Shivay and Maha Mrityunjay Mantra are chanted throughout the day. People terminate their fasts after praying to Lord Shiva. Once the Sawan Somvar Vrat is terminated, Prasad (sacred food offerings) is distributed among the devotees.
Since, people abstain themselves from consuming normal food during Sawan Somvar Vrat, let’s take a look at the food items that can be consumed during Sawan Somvar Vrat in 2016.
Sawan Somvar Vrat 2014: Food Items For Sawan Somvar Vrat
Following are the food items that can be consumed during Shravan Vrat in 2016:
- Unsalted Chips
- Kache Kele Ki Sabji (a dish made of raw banana)
- Farali Dhokla (Gujarati dish made of fermented batter)
- Shrikhand (indian sweet dish made of yogurt)
- Sabudana Khichdi (sago hotchpotch)
Do you know that fasts in Sawan are observed on other days as well? Let’s take a look at all Vrats that take place during the month of Savan.
Sawan 2016: Fasts In Shravan Month
Following are the important Vrat (fasts) that will be observed in Saavan month in 2016, other than Sawan Somvar Vrat:
- Mangala Gauri Vrat: is performed on the Tuesdays of Sawan by newly married women, to get rid of negative omens. These fasts are known as Mangala Gauri Vrat.
- Varalakshmi Vrat: Married women keep fasts on Fridays for the protection of their household issues. This Vrat is termed as Varalakshmi Vrat. This Vrat is also known as Saavan Shukrawar Vrat.
- Sampat Shanivaar Vrat: This fast is observed on Saturdays. Sampat Shanivaar Vrat is performed by those who have complications in their Kundali (birth chart).
Apart from these days, many people observe a special type of fast that runs throughout the month of Sawan. In this fast, they take just one meal throughout the day. So, if you are not able to follow all the above mentioned fasts and remedies, just eat one meal a day throughout the month, and you will be blessed!
We hope that the above mentioned details on Sawan Somvar Vrat will help you to follow the fasting procedures during Saawan month in 2016 with more severity.
Sawan 2016: Significance Of This Month Of Showers
The month of Shravan brings in the shower of god’s blessings in the form of rain. Sawan month gives us relief from the scorching heat of summer. Savan displays a number of festivals that is dedicated to the Almighty. But, what is more significant is – in Savan month, Lord Krishna, Goddess Lakshmi, and a number of other gods are worshiped along with Lord Shiva.
Do you know that each day of Shravan month holds its own significance? Let’s take a look at the significance of the days of Savan:
- Mondays and Tuesdays in the month of Savan are dedicated to Goddess Parvati, and her consort Lord Shiva.
- Wednesdays of the month of Saavan are the favored days to worship Vithala.
- On Guruvar (Thursdays) of Saawan, Mercury and Jupiter are worshiped.
- Fridays in Sawan are devoted to Lakshmi Devi.
- Saturdays are considered to be favorite for Lord Vishnu. Hence, Vishnu is worshiped on Saturdays of Sawan, along with Lord Shani.
- Sun is worshiped during Sundays of Shravan month.
Saavn is considered to be the month that gifts you the unique opportunity to get blessed by the Almighty. Sawan is the time when the rainy season is. Shravan month is the glorious time, when Indians get absorbed in a number of auspicious festivals. Hope, the month of Saavan in 2016 bring much more happiness and glory to your lives